Friday, August 21, 2009

Visuals

One of my sons seems to do a little better when we provide him with a visual cue, rather than just barking commands at him. After this revelation, I learned from my sister, an early childhood professional, that it's understood that all kids do better when they have both visual and oral directions, schedules, etc. So why don't we do this for adults, too? I started thinking of some ways to better manage a meeting with visuals. Have a timer on the table that can help move the agenda along when the meeting has a certain amount of time alloted to each agenda item. Consider adding photos or pictures or some other visual appeal to a meeting agenda or materials. Give people a smiley face to hold up when they agree with what another meeting attendee is saying. The ideas are endless for visual cues.

1 comment:

  1. This is great advice. I've been thinking about giving MYSELF more visual cues - like getting a bulletin board and putting up motivational images, or to-do lists, or whatever!

    I used to have a bulletin board and it was great. Then I lost it.

    Time for a new bulletin board and some new visual cues!

    ReplyDelete